Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bergmann to start Thursday

My wish came true! Bergmann is going to be the starter for Thursday's game against the Mets. Hopefully this means Chico gets a ticket to Columbus to work on his pitching (notice I didn't say control or velocity...I said pitching in general, because he has a ton to work on). The Washington Times' Mark Zuckerman suggests that the corresponding player sent down will either be Hanrahan or Chico, but I would be surprised if Hanrahan (who is out of options) would be sent to AAA.
Bergmann's definitely not perfect, but he has shown flashes of brilliance. I'm glad the team rewarded his recent success in AAA, because he only had 3 games (and 2 starts) to show his stuff this year, an incredibly small sample size.

UPDATE-MAY 15, 10:30 AM
Schroder was sent down to make room for Bergmann. Quit toying with the guy, will ya Jimbo?

2 comments:

  1. I echo your enthusiasm for Bergmann.

    So... did they give up on O'Connor too soon too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that at the end of the season, O'Connor will be up again. Bergmann's stuff is a lot better than O'Connor's and they don't have room for everyone, so I think Bergmann deserves a second chance more than O'Connor. I still think O'Connor is a better pitcher at this point in time than Chico, so yes, they did give up on him too soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your questions and/or comments here and I'll get back to you ASAP!